Ibec/TU Dublin CPD Diploma in Project Management
Technological University Dublin Programme Overview
This is an Online based programme
The programme is aligned to recognise best-practice in the field of project management currently in use across all industries and sectors. Participants will develop the essential knowledge, skills and competencies required for successful project management. The programme is structured around real-world project management challenges and internationally recognised best practices, including, Prince2, the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) and P3.express which is a light-weight methodology influenced by PRINCE2, PMBOK and Agile Project Management. The programme also teaches students how to utilise Microsoft Project in the planning, execution and monitoring and controlling of projects.
On successful completion of the programme, participants will be able to:
TU Dublin Level 7, CPD Special Purpose Award, 15 ECTS
Delivered by John McGrath, Project Management lecturer at TU Dublin, TCD, UCD, NUIM and Brunel University
- Clearly explain the differences between a project management framework and methodology and be able to develop an appropriate methodology tailored to a unique project environment.
- Articulate the role of project and programme management as a vehicle to execute strategy, drive change and foster innovation within an organisation
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ten knowledge areas of project management as identified in the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK)
- Apply and tailor PRINCE2 key concepts to a unique project environment
- Build a resource driven project schedule, track planned versus actual and report, cost, schedule and scope variance.
- Articulate the use of Agile approaches in a variety of industries where a more adaptive project management approach is required to cope with a high level of uncertainty
Participants will comprehensive course notes including the official “Managing successful projects with PRINCE2” 2017 edition and a Microsoft Project Manual.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone involved in projects – whether as a project manager, team member, scheduler or sponsor. All will benefit from this programme. The skills and techniques taught on this programme are relevant to all sectors of business and government including professional services, engineering, technology and life sciences.
Module 1: Strategic Project Management
This module introduces students to the principles of strategic project management applicable to all industries. It examines the core concepts and applied techniques for cost‐effective management of projects. It introduces the importance of project, programme and portfolio management as a vehicle to execute strategy and support organisational agility.
Module 2: Project Planning Systems
- The Role of the Project Manager
- Projects, programmes and portfolios
- Project risk and uncertainty
- Agile Project Management
- Earned Value Management
- The Role of the PMO
- Earned Value Management
This module introduces students to project planning information systems using Microsoft Project. Students will use the application to simulate the five stages of a typical project lifecycle: Initiation, Planning, Execution, Monitoring & Controlling and Closing. The typical project life cycle is applicable to all sectors and industries.
Students will explore the core concepts and for effective time, cost, scope and quality management of projects. The module introduces the importance of project planning and best practice when using a project management tool. The module is aligned to assist students in preparing for the internationally recognised Microsoft Project Exam 74-343 exam.
Module 3: PRINCE2
- Developing a project plan
- Scheduling essentials
- Fine-tuning the project plan
- Calendars and Customisation
- Creating and assigning resources
- Tracking the Project
PRINCE2® (Projects in Controlled Environments) is a process-based approach for project management providing an easily tailored and scalable method for the management of all types of projects. The method is the de-facto standard for project management in the UK and is practiced worldwide. The module is aligned to assist students in preparing for the internationally recognised PRINCE2 Foundation exam.
Trainer: John McGrath
- Starting Up a Project
- Initiating a Project
- Directing a Project
- Managing Product Delivery
- Controlling a Stage
- Managing a Stage Boundary
- Closing a Project
John is a project management lecturer at DIT, TCD, UCD, NUIM and Brunel University. He is passionate about building project management competency within organisations. John’s track record includes over 250 global companies, government agencies, state enterprises, Engineers Ireland, the United Nations, the London and Rio Paralympics and the World Bank.
Dates in Dublin 2019 coming soon
Did you know that all Ibec members can avail of significant savings on all Ibec Training courses
Delegate cancellation policy
Any cancellations received in writing up to 5 days prior to the event are refundable. All bookings are provisional until full payment is received.
Photography at events
There may be a photographer and videographer at the event and we may publish images from this event on our website(s) and on our social media accounts.
Course Fact File
- Course fee:
Member rate: €2,100
Non-member rate: €2,100
* Cost quoted per person
- Pay by credit card online here