Building Diversity and Inclusion
We will explore the problems and barriers to achieving a diverse and inclusive workforce. The focus will be on various forms of diversity with a particular focus on gender and looking at the associated business benefits of getting it right. We will also explain what unconscious bias is, how we are all biased and how it can impact us as individuals, teams and organisations.
Participants will leave with practical actions that they can implement in the workplace, having heard from a number of organisations that will share what they are doing in the area of diversity and inclusion and the lessons they have learned along the way.
At the end of this 1 Day Seminar participants will:
- Gain an insight into the context for Diversity and Inclusion and see what the future looks like
- Understand what Diversity and Inclusion mean and why diversity is good for business
- Look at the research in the area of privilege and culture and how it operates unconsciously, but in a powerful way
- Examine what unconscious or implicit bias is, why we are all biased and how it can impact the decisions we make in the workplace around recruitment, development, performance management and succession planning
- Get back to basics, starting with your recruitment policy and practices
- Hear from an expert in the area of communicating your message in this space to your workforce to ensure you bring people with you on this journey
- Gain an insight into what leading organisations are doing in this space and the lessons they have learned along the way
- Putting it all into practice is critical, so key do’s and don’ts will be summarised at the end of the programme
Time: 9.00am- 4.00pm
What is Diversity, Inclusion and Privilege
- What is driving the change in how we think and act in this area?
- Policy in this area - Balance for Better Business; gender pay gap reporting; changing demographics; war for talent
- What are we talking about?
- Why bother with diversity and inclusion?
- Beyond the business case
- What is diversity and what is inclusion? What is gender equality and equity?
- What is Equality v’s Equity –what’s the difference?
- What is privilege?
- How do we recognise it?
- The research in this area
- Unconscious bias and what it looks like
Back to basics –from Recruitment to Keeping a Diverse Workforce engaged
- How to set up diversity and inclusion initiatives in your organisation?
- Having successful employee resource groups or networks that work
- Putting it into Practice -Applying the knowledge
Best Practice Example
What to do about Diversity and Inclusion –Communication and Getting your Message Across
- Recruitment and getting it right from the start
- Advertising and it’s impact on those reading the ads
- Research on how men and women react to language and positioning of jobs
- Unconscious bias and it’s impact on recruitment
Input on Practical Take Aways
- Gender Pay Gap –Your policy and what you are doing in 2019 and 2020
- Communication within your organisation
- Getting the message right and ensuring you bring your people with you on the journey
- Do’s and Don’ts along the way
- A practical approach to communicating this message well
- Do’s and Don’ts
- Barriers to achieving the culture you want
- Building the blocks for Diversity and Inclusion in your organisation
- Getting the policy and context right
- Key initiatives to discuss and tailor to your organisation
- Using the research to make a real difference
- The power of one –what can I do now to make a difference
No training dates available at the moment.
Did you know that all Ibec members* can avail of significant savings on all Ibec Training courses
* Make sure you have your username and password details
Delegate cancellation policy
Any cancellations received in writing up to 5 days prior to the event are refundable. All bookings are provisional until full payment is received.
Photography at events
There may be a photographer and videographer at the event and we may publish images from this event on our website(s) and on our social media accounts.
Course Fact File
- Course fee:
Member rate: €330
Non-member rate: €400
* Cost quoted per person
- Pay by credit card online here